Thursday, September 9, 2010

Is Everyone's Ex Crazy?

So my best friend Peter just broke up with his boyfriend Travis, and it's been... well... interesting.

Okay, so here's a little back story: Peter and Travis got together last year (during Peter's freshman year of college) and they were really happy. For the past few months, however, things have been a little off between them. They worked on it, but finally Peter decided that the problem was not going to be fixed, and for the benefit of both people involved in the relationship, it was the best decision to break it off. Pretty much your standard breakup story, yea? Well... this is where it gets interesting.

So the day after they broke up, Peter got a call from Travis asking him if he wanted to hang out. A little weird, if you ask me, since Travis had just been dumped the night before, but I guess that's not for me to judge... and Peter apparently decided the same thing, so he accepted the invitation. So pretty much since then, Travis has been acting like he and Peter are still going out: calling Peter to hang out, inviting him and his friends out at night, etc. Peter called me several times to talk about it and the most I could manage on these occasions was a vague, "uhh... that's kind of weird... but I'm not sure what you should do... maybe throw some water on him? He might melt like that person in that movie?"

Anyways, Travis texted Peter last night to see if he wanted to hang out. Peter had a lot of homework and a few meetings to go to, so he told Travis that it probably wouldn't happen. Well, it turns out that Peter got done with his work a lot quicker than expected, but (being a normal person and remembering that he had just broken up with Travis) accepted an invitation to go see a movie from another friend. Whilst in said movie, Peter received a text from Travis asking if he could drop by Peter's apartment and hang out. Peter told Travis that he was in a movie, and they agreed to meet up afterwards.

So when Peter and Travis finally got together, Travis spent a good amount of time trying to convince Peter that they should get back together.... but abruptly after doing this said "I was going to punch you in the face earlier. I wanted to break your nose." Weird? Yea... I would say kind of weird. Not as weird as him later asking Peter if he would "just hold him."

I'm not sure exactly what was going on there, but these actions combined do not, to me, scream "I am a reliable person who would be able to mentally and emotionally handle a steady social relationship right now, would you like to join me?!" Instead, if I were Peter, I'd be more inclined to steer clear of further contact and avoid wearing bright colors in public for the near future.

I have to say, I am not one who should be giving anyone relationship advice seeing as how I often find myself sitting in the corner at a coffee shop frantically looking around to make sure nobody is staring at me and judging me for being alone in a coffee shop drinking my coffee. I may not be the best judge of intentions... so maybe I should ask people who read this to leave a comment and give their take on the situation: outrageously crazy, or something to be expected?

No comments:

Post a Comment